3.30.2013

REGINALD EBERE’S "BOUNDARIES OF HEAVEN" READY TO DROP


 


Reginald Ebere
Nollywood screen-writer director, Reginald Ebere has upped his game once more. The amiable and quiet movie maker known to be one of the better and most prolific writers in Nollywood with well over 150 movie credits to his name, movies like WHEN THE SUN SETS, ISSAKABA, LAST BURIAL, LAST WEEKEND, THE KING AND THE PRIEST, OSUOFIA IN BRAZIL and a host of other titles, is getting set to release his much awaited book, BOUNDARIES OF HEAVEN. We got a little information on the project and we tracked him down in his writers’ workshop in Surulere Lagos, where he holes up to do his writing. At first he was reluctant to talk about the book
“It is still a work in progress. I’d done a little introductory, promotional test on facebook to gauge peoples reactions but we are in the process of publishing and I wouldn’t want to say more than that for now."
Bearing in mind that another Nollywood Writer/Director Charles Novia had recently published a book NOLLYWOOD TILL NOVEMBER we asked if this was the reason why he was pursing book publication.
“No, far from it. It is just another level in my development as a writer. I have always had something to say and for a long time my friends had urged me to do a book. They felt that my talents could be fully utilised if I did a novel. I was a little apprehensive at first although I’d had some stuff published under the THRILLS AND BOON SERIES of True Tale Publications when I was working for HINTS MAGAZINE. I was a bit too young then to understand certain things. But now, I think I am a little bit more mature so some people can listen to what I have to say. Charles’ book is his memoirs and, his memories of his walk through Nollywood. I don’t think I want to do something like that yet although I have a blog called REGINALD EBERE –THE LIFE AND TIMES OF A NOLLYWOOD MOVIE DIRECTOR, where I talk about my life and my journey but BOUNDARIES OF HEAVEN is not about that at all.”
So what is the book that is quietly generating a buzz in the literary community about we asked. Dre as his close friends call him laughed and answered.
“I don’t know about it generating a buzz in the literary community as only very few people have seen the manuscript but I think some strong opinions were expressed in it. BOUNDARIES OF HEAVEN is about Nigeria, my country. It is a collection of fifty loud poems. My country is seen as one that is endowed with unbelievable human and material potential. This country which has been acknowledged as the most populous black nation in the world and its peoples, can literarily live in heaven. But even with all her gifts, promises and endowments, this beautiful land has always desperately fallen short of its awaited glory, not because of any external extenuating forces and factors but because of the failings of its national character and the lines that divide. It is these factors and these lines that we talk about in the collection. So BOUNDARIES OF HEAVEN is a metaphor for my country. We keep waiting, praying and hoping that we can, one day fulfill our potential, rule the world and live in heaven. But until that happens we will keep hovering around the boundaries of heaven, so close to nirvana, yet so far away.”
Mhn Very deep words from the master wordsmith and until the book comes out we will keep praying that it is all that it promises to be.
See you!

No comments:

Post a Comment